Saturday, September 03, 2005

something like a retraction/clarification

Okay, I have talked to several people about what I posted this week and I have some clarifying and revising to do, which is good! This is why I like discussing stuff with people!

First of all, the media is doing a pretty shoddy job of covering what is happening in Lousiana, I'll just put that out there first. They show all these news conferences and show pictures over and over but they are leaving out some stories I've been hearing lately through emails my mom has forwarded to me and things I've read from smaller newspaper stories (as in not front page news, unfortunatly). The relief response to this storm has been tremendous. My mom sent me stories about neighbors helping neighbors and wonderful, positive rescues. I am glad these things are happening. The media is focusing on stories of displaced elderly being carted around like cargo and rampant disease, which are no doubt happening, but they are truly only part of the story and I recognize that.

What I need to clarify, I suppose, is that what angers me is not so much what is happening in the present tense but what didn't happen in the past tense before the storm. I had a heated argument at dinner last night with a good friend about whether or not everyone in the area of mandatory evacuation actually had the CHOICE to evacuate. The city's failure to do more to aid people's exile and to educate the people who may not comprehend the strength of the storm or worse case scenario. I am of course going to try to find some more news stories to support this claim because this is based on what the awful TV media covered before the storm. The LA officials did do wonderful things that all evacuated areas do before storms such as change the highways to one way in order to open up more lanes out of the city etc but there were certainly failures in counting on a best case scenario, a non-direct hit, instead of considering what actually happened which was a catagory 4 storm sitting over the city for an extended time. The predictions couldn't be with absolute certainty but the various possibilities did not seem to be weighed equally.

I think I'm going to leave the subject for now though because I am so afraid of having to stick my foot in my mouth tomorrow or getting into more arguments over dinner for the next couple of days. I will work on more supporting evidence and report back here when I find it.

On a personal note, I am now successfully moved into my new apartment with the lovely Erica. I still have some random stuff to collect from my summer sublet but overall I'm moved and mostly unpacked! It is a really nice feeling to be settled somewhere that I don't have to leave on a certain date or even at the end of the school year! I can put roots down finally for more than a few months at a time and it is really good for the mind and body. I couldn't have done it without my lovely friends helping me move stuff since I'm still kinda incapacitated. THank you guys and I'm sorry if I was in a little bit of a foul mood after dinner. I just needed to unpack enough to feel at home.

I've been offered a part-time job at Light Opera Works, the place I've been interning at, and I think I'm going to take it. Since the research job is not a viable option because of the hours and since I most likely won't be any use in the shops until my back heals, I figure I can stay on at LOW for a few months instead since I love the production management skills I've been working on there. I might look into working at the Library or something on the weekend in order to keep up with my work-study allotment but nothing stressful. Those of you who have seen or talked to me this summer know that I love working at LOW so I'm sure it will continue to make me happy.

Well, I'm going to bed now. Please comment if you disagree or agree with me about all this hurricane stuff. I'm anxious to hear what you think, even though I do want to cry most of the time I talk about it or hear about it. But anyways, talk to me. I like that.

2 Comments:

Blogger m. said...

Hi Em...
I too have been an angry girl lately (you can see it at www.livejournal.com/~magdalenisch)and have also gotten into some pretty heated debates/arguements with relatively like minded folks lately. NPR has been wonderful, since I hit image overload some time ago. As they express the same concerns as I have, they also slip in some uplifting (and not just for PR's sake) stories. I'm glad to hear you are in your apartment... I here it's quite nice. I hope things go well for you as you begin another year at Northwestern.

September 4, 2005 at 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know. I wouldn't call it a "heated" argument. I was sitting next to you and I didn't feel any heat... ;)

September 5, 2005 at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home