Sunday, October 16, 2005

I crack myself up...

So I realized tonight that I should have made the title for last night's entry "BACK!" because it would have been very punny....

Anyways, Segundo's in town this weekend and those of you who know who I"m talking about know that my punny sense is on because of his wonderful sense of humor...

Okay, there are so many things I want to talk about I don't know where to start. But sense I'm currently listening to the music of one of my new favorite movies, I think I can start there.

I love the movie Serenity. I've only seen it once so far but that will soon change because I have to see it multiple times in the theater to boost it's profit so they will make many more sequels! I can't talk about some of the more exciting/disturbing aspects of the movie without giving things away but I'll just say it was great.

What I can talk about is how it relates to all my grumblings about action movies this summer. I read something really interesting last night about the TV show it started from, Firefly, which discussed how the creator, Joss Whedon, wanted to make a sci-fi movie where it wasn't about the possibilities of the future and how things might be but rather the future as being history. In other words, it is not about a future but about a "then," which is what most movies and TV shows that are good relate to. Or at least a "now." I don't know if that makes any sense so I'll try to explain.

I love reading science fiction which creates entire worlds from the imagination and just assumes the reader will be able to learn to understand the intricacies of the made up reality. For example, Robin McKinley is an amazing writer who's books The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword take place in a kind of fantasy world that does not give in to "common" fantasy world archetypes or inhabitants like unicorns, damsels in distress, or knighthood. Instead, she does draw on some traditional fantasies like fighting dragons but also creates creatures who have their own unique personalities and names that come completely from her imagination! And you accept the terig because both the author and the characters accept them.

Those of you who remember my grumblings about action movies this summer are probably trying to figure out how in the world this relates to feminism. Well, I'm about to tell you.

In the world of Firefly and Serenity, there is an interesting combinations of cultures, historical periods, and customs. Some planets featured in the TV episodes are hopelessly patriarchial and sexist yet others demonstrate matriarchal societies or interesting mixes of equality of the sexes. On the ship Serenity, the crew is a delightful mixture of men and women and everyone has a very defined role and character! Yet the fact that the courtesan character is a woman doesn't bother me because she also kicks ass and her career as a highly trained "prostitute" is actually the most respected job in the universe in the world that Joss Whedon has created. The character of Kaylee, one of my favorites, is a sweet young girl who also happens to be naturally tuned in to the mechanical workings of space ships and therefore is the most skilled mechanic in the "verse."

The male roles are equally diverse and interesting. Mal, the captain, is a seemingly hard-edged war veteran who is actually quite emotional and a real softy at heart. He is a strong male character who does not hide behind the Hollywood norm of lacking emotions/stoicism. I find it hilarious that the muscle man of the crew, Mr. Cobb, who is the most stereotypically "male" in his snide remarks and slight sexist comments (notice I said stereotypically. I don't really think this is who males act but we're talking about TV and Hollywood) has a "girl's name," Jayne. (Side note: I love Jayne more than any of the other characters for some reason. I think it has to do with the fact he named his favorite gun "Vera" and has a town named after him for his accidental Robin Hood deeds...). It probably wasn't intentional but it is intriguing that the most "male" character has what is usually defined as a "female" name, Jayne...

When I actually was sitting watching Firefly and Serenity, the problem I usually see in movies relating to sexism never even occured to me. Those of you who know me know this is an amazing sign. The characters were so natural and rich that I accepted them as the people they are, just as I can accept the world they are placed in which is a figment of one man's imagination that has become a major motion picture.

So I recommend seeing Serenity and renting the TV series sometime. It is some of the best writing, acting, music, editing, filming, etc I have seen in a very long time.

Enjoy.

My To Do List for the next few days for my Blog:
Write about Katie Holmes and her Scientologist choices...
Hurricane schtuf
The Asian Earthquake
Sudokus
Greek Tragedy.

Goodnight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home