Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Frivolous Blog Post

I decided this afternoon that it is time for a non-serious or ranting blog post. After talking to Eva tonight and saying some really random that out of context is hilarious, I decided that today would be a good time for a list of 10 random things I thought of or said today after which I thought "wow, I should put that on my blog." Actually some of the stuff was from yesterday but who cares.

So, without further ado...
The Top Ten Random and Original Thoughts of Emily (at least for today)

10. "A fit of apoplexy would be cool"

9. Going to the library can be overwhelming after not having been there for several weeks. I finally had to force myself to just pick books and go because making decisions was really difficult.

8. Our mail never comes before 5pm anymore which is extremely annoying.

7. I bought bed lifters the other day and "installed" them tonight. My bed was already really tall because the mattress is twice as think as some mattresses. However, there was not enough space between the bottom of the frame and the floor to fit most "under the bed" containers. After adding bed lifts, my bed now stands at a grand height of 3'.

6. Add the bed lifters has had the bonus effect of making my bed stationary finally! The wheels on my frame have never locked correctly so I am constantly leaning over between the bed and the wall to retrieve books, pillows, and animals that have fallen in the ever widening crack during the night. Now things like my blankets may actually stay on the bed since the wheels are now trapped in the bed lifters!

5. The main reason I needed bed lifters was to make space for my collection of yarn.

4. I have a lot of half-read non-fiction books on the shelf next to my bed. I should really start educating myself again so I can say I've actually finished those books.

3. Yesterday Chicago experienced a mini-apocalypse. Early in the day Eva came home and remarked that she loved all the snow that was predicted when outside it was a balmy day, kind of like a "New England spring day." Around 4pm while I was down at Belmont shopping, the temperature started dropping. I found out later that it dropped 30 degrees in 2 hours... Then it started raining which was icky since I wasn't home yet. It had already been windy but the gusts got up to 50-60 mph during the evening. Then the snow finally arrived. However, the wind was blowing so hard that large areas of ground had no snow accumulation because the wind was pushing it all into big heaps on the side of the parking lots or next to the buildings. Also, our apartment is a corner unit. Most of our windows (in the living room and Eva's bedroom) face west and my windows face south. The wind was blowing in such a perfect direction that it sounded like a tornado was coming for most of the afternoon until this morning some time. The weather person on the evening news even reported there was thunder in some areas of Chicago. Thunder snow. I've always joked about it and never thought it was real... Oh yeah, with wind chill it was around -30 degrees this morning... Luckily I didn't have to go out.

2. Whenever it is extremely windy, the arm on the parking lot thingy breaks off because it is made of cheap wood painted yellow. Yesterday was the 3rd or 4th time this has happened since we moved in. We thought they had just kept replacing it with another cheap wood thingy but as I was walking home from the library this evening, I noticed that it had been replaced again. However, it was about half the length it should have been so there is a good 5 feet between the pole where the chain blocks the entrance and the other side of the driveway. Eva and I had been wondering why they didn't just buy a more sturdy arm to save money. Now we know they have been saving money by reusing the same piece of wood that blows off every time it is windy and just dealing with the fact that it is only about 4' long now...

1. For some reason I bought a Strawberry Fanta at the 7-Eleven tonight. Still not sure why. I didn't even drink it all...

And there you have it! About a 10th of the crazy things I think about during the day because I am so bored and mostly unemployed! Hope some of it made you smile and/or laugh.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lidarose said...

#2 made me laugh so hard I'm still chuckling.

January 31, 2008 at 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen (or should that be I heard?) Thundersnow TWICE in my lifetime. Once in Dayton Ohio and once in Atlanta Georgia!

February 1, 2008 at 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home