Monday, January 21, 2008

An interesting politics poll

According to PollingPoint.com:

I agree with Clinton 44.44 % of the time.
I agree with Obama 88.88 % of the time.
I agree with Edwards 55.55 % of the time.
I agree with Huckabee 22.22 % of the time.
I agree with Romney 11.11 % of the time.
I agree with McCain 22.22 % of the time.
I agree with Thompson 11.11 % of the time.
I agree with Giuliani 22.22 % of the time.

This poll was obviously flawed because I think the only reason they said I agreed even 11.11% with Romney and Thompson is because I indicated that although I do not think the Supreme Court should ban abortion (although I do think abortion is wrong), I am fully against outlawing partial birth abortions. I also think I agree with Obama more like 99.99% of the time and Clinton a whole lot less. Other than the small sample of questions these numbers are taken from, the other flaw I see is what the questions are looking at. I have noticed after reading detailed plans on candidate websites that there are two ways of "agreeing" with candidates. One is agreeing with the overall goals such as ending the war in Iraq or outlawing abortion. This poll does not address what I find more important which is the methods the candidate will use to execute the ideals once in office. Although Obama has been accused of not having enough plans, his website demonstrates otherwise. If you go to BarackObama.com and read the articles under "Issues," it is clear that over numerous years and speeches Obama has outlined the way he wishes to operate in office and get things done. People also complain about his "lack of record" which is ludicrous since the 100s of bills he has supported, authored, or collaborated on during his years in the Illinois State Senate and the US Senate show otherwise. I'm more confident about Obama's plans being carried out than Clintons, thus the reason I agree with Obama more. I guess the poll does show that I like even Edwards more than Clinton which is accurate so maybe it's not as flawed as I think . I guess I find it really hard to believe that I don't agree with 21.22% of Obama's stuff.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Zifnab said...

Based on the %'s listed, the sample size was only 9 questions, so it's unsurprising that your perceptions disagreed with the actual allocated percentages. You'd need a much larger sample to get the error down in to reasonable ranges, and it's likely that a lot of the questions are correlated as well, which can lead to higher errors if you get a block. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

January 23, 2008 at 1:35 AM  
Blogger AnaliaRose said...

I'm not too worried. I think the more important thing, now that I look at what I wrote, is how inherently flawed polls can be. I love taking polls and filling out forms but when it comes down to really telling you something about yourself, polls don't really do it. They are a good jumping off point for discussion but not much else.

January 23, 2008 at 1:56 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Thanks for mentioning this poll. I'm still trying to decide who I dislike least and the poll helped narrow down which candidates I should seriously look at.

January 23, 2008 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger AnaliaRose said...

Glad it could help. As I said, it is a good starting place for discussion. I just wish my results for the republicans had been a little clearer because I can tell you already that I don't think McCain, Giuliani, and Huckabee are at the same place in my esteem. McCain wins that contest by a long shot!

January 25, 2008 at 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home