Saturday, July 02, 2005

Brooke Shields fights back!

Click on the link above to read whay Brooke Shields has to say about Tom Cruise's insanity.

In other news about that, as a religion major I decided it would be important for me to look more into what the "religion" of scientology actually is. I spent a little time last night reading through information on their official webpage (which I believe is www.scientology.org) and the funny thing was that I saw no mention of God or a higher being or beings, which I was thought was pretty important to being a "religion." I guess it depends on what you define as religion. I would definately qualify scientology as a "belief system" but that is different than religion. Atheism, for example, is not a religion. Agnosticism is also not a religion but a philosophy or belief system. I'm going to do some more reading and let you know what I find out.

Other than that, I'm still doing thinking/reading about the whole women hero movie thing. I don't know where to go after reading the article but I'm thinking I might do some interviews with my friends as well as both younger and older members of the community. I want to see how sensitive the rest of the community is to the issues of inequality and subliminal stereotyping. I was talking to one friend last night about his experience watching Batman Begins and he hadn't even noticed some of the comments which kinda subjugated women to less powerful or weak roles. However, he pointed out a few things I had forgotten about or had interpreted in different ways. For example, he mentioned that the Katie Holmes character seemed to be the one who pushed her boss, the DA, to pursue the Falcon. I didn't really see that because I was concentrating so much on how none of the men respected her or listened to her opinion. I don't know if that is just different interpretations or if I really did miss something. I invite you guys, of course, to comment on how you saw it because I love hearing other opinions.

Well, I'm going to go work on The Libation Bearers and pray for rain. The grass over by the lake is so dry it's like lying on a bed of nails if you want to go have a picnic by the lake. I want my lush green grass back!

Laters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home