Tuesday, June 28, 2005

a normal post with minimal ranting...

So today I don't have much to vent about because I'm really exhausted from a really crazy day at work, laundry, and then Trivia Pursuit AND Apples to Apples.

I said I was going to write about Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Elektra. I'll start with Elektra. Or is it Electra. I can't remember. Okay, I know a lot of you are going to laugh at this but I thought it was a step in the right direction, to be honest. Elektra is a superhero because of her great skills but she is also definately a woman in her actions and reactions. She is of course very sexy but that is not something that is in the foreground as it is in, say, Charlie's Angels. Yes, the plot needed help and some of the villain "powers" were just out there. But she was the kind of hero I would want my future children to look up to. I almost wrote "future daughter" but then I realized that to truly fit into my ideal transformation of heros in movies, both sexes would be able to find something of a role model in women characters as well.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith was just an entertaining movie. I was entertained enough not to pay a lot of attention to the subtle commentaries on marriage and suburban life. But they were certainly there. Angelina Jolie was an admirable female hero in the way she kicked ass AND the way she interacted with her husband and fellow assassin played by Brad Pitt. There were definately moments where Mr. Smith tried to be dominant and have Mrs. Smith merely be a side kick and Mrs. Smith did not take that sitting down. She proved to her husband in the end that she too was very good at her job and was on equal footing with him. So I'd say this was a positive image of a woman character. Just as Jennifer Garner is very sexy as Elektra, Angelina Jolie does not hide her nice body and big lips. Although this could make a case for men accepting these characters based soully on sexuality, which might be the wrong kind of feminine to emphasize, the sexuality fits very nicely in their entire character in a way that one could not ignore their innate intelligence even if the appeal of these female characters WAS initially the sexuality.

Okay, that was more than I expected to write but as usual I have thought of many more things while writing than I thought I would. And as always, let me know your opinion if you've seen either of these movies because I love hearing other opinions.

Have a good Wednesday, y'all!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," but your post here makes me think of Mulder and Scully from "The X-Files." I would love a child of mine to look up to Scully.

June 29, 2005 at 1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home