Friday, August 19, 2005

ah confusion...

So it's been one crazy week! My show opens tomorrow, I injured my back on Tuesday, I quit my BEHIV job on Thursday (in the work-study capacity. I'm going to do some volunteer work still with the theater tickets project and other stuff), I made some major decisions about my life and health on Wednesday, and I found a great used bookstore on Monday! What a week!

I'm exhausted from the easiest tech week I have ever been a part of. There was just a lot of rehearsal to go to and getting sick and injured did not help. But I'm loving the show. I got to hear the cast sing with the orchestra today and it was absolutely amazing. A 32-piece orchestra AND a theatrical production in one place! Wow! This is the type of show I want people who don't normally go to theater to see because it really does capture the magic that can be created in a theater space. Perhaps not the elements of changing the world which I like a lot in theater but enough to touch people's hearts and souls. Theater doesn't have to be political or thought-provoking to be powerful. I just wish I could sit in the house for one performance so I could see this show. The lights look beautiful even from my offstage perch and it sounds amzing as always.

In other news - I'm still laboring away on the blanket I"m making my brother and sister-in-law for their wedding. I'm now averaging about one piece a night at the theater which is great. But it brought up that whole "Oh look at Emily the feminist who's so utterly domestic." My straight male wig-maker budy and I were talking about nature vs. nurture in these things and stereotypes and I brought up that there would be nothing "funny" about my love of crocheting, ironing, and cooking if society didn't hold so many stereotypes of women and what a "woman's role" really is. Then I was talking to a good friend who will remain nameless so my future roomie who is dating him won't tease him (hahaha too late) and he happens to be one of those people who finds it very funny that I can simultaneously crochet and spurt about women's lib etc. I didn't have a good comeback to our conversation tonight for some reason (I'm blaming it on the common cold) but I have it now. Crocheting is not something feminism was trying to eliminate from a woman's role or life. Instead, feminism is the movement to make it acceptable for a woman to be able to CHOOSE to crochet or cook or be a doctor or actress or lawyer or stay at home mom! I choose to cook dinner for my friends, including my male friends, but I don't cook because it is expected of me, I cook because I choose to and I enjoy it. Ha. I know you didn't mean anything by your chuckles. I just like thinking of good "comebacks." I rarely think of them in the midst of the conversation, which disappoints me. Oh well, that's life.

Well, I've got big day planned for tomorrow: Hit the farmer's market in the morning for some fresh fruit, head downtown or to Belmont to find a shirt to wear with my hot new skirt for the big opening night party tomorrow night (I will dress up even if I am the only one there sans date) and then off to run a wonderful show with absolutely no tech problems, broken fans, stained costumes, falling set pieces, or spilled ginger ale. None at all.

Come see the show. It's worth your time and money. And I might cook you dinner afterwards if you talk to me nice.

Ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home