Thursday, July 26, 2007

Another Take on the issue..

Well, I was doing more research today about what people think of Philip Pullman's books which I think should be more controversial than they actually are. The link above is to a Talk of the Nation segment on NPR. I found it interesting because the commentator was an adult when she read the books yet claims she read them as someone going back to adolescence. Even more interesting is that she focuses on one of the non-religious aspects of the book. Reading or listening to this segment would tell me nothing about the theological aspects to the story and perhaps it is just a sign I was reading too much into the books. However, daemons (in the books) are fascinating and innovated but are not the focus of the action and motivation of the characters. Many of the characters are motivated more with eradicating the Church or killing God (excuse me - "The Authority"). So yeah, daemons are cool, but does that balance the other problems I found with the books?

Now as much as I have been discussing my dislikes of the books, I want to make it clear that I in no way wish for these books to be banned. First Amendment rights are too important and I feel access to diverse ideas is important to being a fully educated, wise individual. However, I am shocked that these books seem to be accepted so readily by Christians and others, without much discussion about the theological ramifications of what is being suggested by Pullman.

Probably more on this to come... Pullman is apparently very anti-C.S. Lewis for odd and unfounded reasons so I want to investigate that some more...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home